Saturday, September 17, 2011

Coming Back To My Own

This week was an interesting week. I sat down and reflected big time on where I am, what I am doing, how I got there, and if I am happy with my situation. This doesn't mean I don't like teaching or my school...it means that I was having some issues with me. There has been some behaviors starting up and they needed to be stopped. The kids are now getting over the honeymoon stage of the year and some are showing their true colors and trying to bring others into their little coven with that. I used to have very very very little discipline problems and now they are beginning to get rampant.
I sat and questioned what changed? I think that the past two years has taken so much away from who I am as a teacher that I am either scared to be the old me or I lost much of that. Being disciplined myself for writing up a kid who has cursed at me several times or refused to stop behaviors or do work has changed me. I do not want to be forced out of teaching because I am too mean or too demanding so I am constantly questioning if I am doing the right thing. I asked my administrator on Friday if documentation of the behavior would allow me to write them up. She kind of gave me a strange look and I told her I got in trouble with my last school for writing a kid up so I was a little scared to do it. I am just tolerating it. She told me if I follow procedures and they break the rules, then that is what I am to do. WHAT A CHANGE!
This past week, I called parents during planning everyday. I am going to get more control and take on the world now! HELP?? :)

1 comment:

  1. What is wrong with a school system, and the parents with kids in that system, that would condone pampering an unruly child?

    There are schools in my state that don't allow cursing at all, not in the halls, not in the gym, not from students, not from teachers, not even from coaches. Some schools reported that a decrease in over-all negative behavior followed the implementation of the no cursing policy.

    Count yourself blessed to have left that dumb, uneducated, uncaring school system behind. I say uncaring because they obviously didn't care about the teachers OR the students.

    ReplyDelete